Friday 5 August 2011

Paris archive: La Boulangerie par Véronique Mauclerc

Oh, little blog - I'm sorry I left you unattended for so long. I hope you don't feel too neglected. The same goes for you, dear readers (that is, mum).

In my iPod Touch "to do list" app, I have a list of blog entries I want to write about Paris. I'm no longer there (yes mum, I know you already know this, but I have to at least pretend one or two other people are reading this), so I'll call these the "Paris archive." I'll start with the more pleasant ones.

Towards the end of my stay in Paris, my sister came to visit for a couple of days. On the morning she left, we took a walk through the Parc des Buttes Chaumont and bought pastries from the Boulangerie par Véronique Mauclerc. This particular boulangerie is written up in both Clotilde's Edible Adventures in Paris, and the Pudlo 2008-2009 (or was it 2007-2008? anyway, I'll wager it makes an appearance in multiple editions of Pudlos) guide to food in Paris. I'd been once or twice before, but had been slightly underwhelmed - the baguette I bought the first time was a bit trop cuite for my taste, and the pastries are noticeably more expensive than those at your standard boulangerie. But on that damp, possibly a bit drizzly, morning that my sister and I dropped by, I ended up with the best pain aux raisins I'd ever tasted. Warm and fresh from the oven, soft and flakey at the same time, sweet and wonderfully buttery. It's well worth the trek to the 19th and the extra euro.

La Boulangerie par Véronique Mauclerc
83, rue de Crimée
19th arr. Paris

Here's what David Lebovitz has to say about Mme Mauclerc's wares. Apparently, Clotilde has managed to buy kouign amanns chez Véronique, but I didn't see any on my visits to the bakery.

1 comment:

  1. I've been to this boulangerie twice as well and also had very mixed experiences, although in the opposite order. I bought a bunch of lovely things the first time I was there, then took Barny for what turned out to be a very disappointing lunch a few days later. Oh well! On the other hand, I have had only good experiences with the chocolate pear cake tarte recipe from the Edible Adventures book, which I believe is either inspired by or from Mme Mauclerc. :)

    ReplyDelete