Monday 9 May 2011

Projet Pont: la continuation

The last post might not actually have been too heavy - it turns out I wasn't connected to the internet, so I think that was the source of my problems. But we had to take breaks in our walk, so it's perfectly reasonable for you to take a break in reading about the walk. Now, where were we? Ah yes, we left off on the little bridge between the two îles...


While still zig-zagging across the islands (where a significant number of bridges are), I spotted this barn-like building (at least, I think it looks like a barn) at the end of a little street near Shakespeare & Co.

Back on Île de la Cité, we very conveniently discovered a picturesque fountain where we could fill up our water bottles. (These are all over the city. Meghan once told me who had designed them, and perhaps even how many there are, but I've forgotten now.)
I wasn't aware of this tradition before Erika recounted it to me, but apparently couples will write their names on a lock, which they hook onto the fence of a bridge (in this case, the Pont des Arts, but we saw them on other bridges, as well), and then throw the corresponding key into the river.  
More expressions of love on the Seine. (I think this says "Je t'aime.") 

The columns of Pont Alexandre III provide the perfect frame for the Tour de Montparnasse
Docking centre for the Bateaux Mouches.
At the end of the day, we made it to Paris's Statue of Liberty. At that point, we were so exhausted (and our feet so tired), that we nipped across to a café in the 16th arrondissement for a glass of Sancerre and a good rest. (Although I must say that two days later, my lower legs are still sore and my neck extremeley stiff!)

You can see more photos on Flickr. If you'd like to see the whole lot (Flickr has an upload limit, so I didn't put up all 188 photos from the day!), let me know, and I'll make a Snapfish album.

No comments:

Post a Comment